Underwriting Guidelines for Individuals Living with HIV
Thanks to treatment advances, of the more than 1.2 million Americans living with HIV, many are living longer and healthier lives.* Prudential, Munich Re, and a company named ÆQUALIS are working together to offer life insurance to individuals living with HIV.
ÆQUALIS has an educational, self declaration front-end process, which occurs outside of Prudential, before any application is taken, to help consumers identify whether they are good candidates for coverage. Approximately 10% to 15% of people living with HIV, within the U.S., are expected to be considered good candidates for applications.**
Pruco Life insurance companies will issue the policies. The underwriting guidelines have been created with our reinsurance partner Munich Re.
Complete underwriting of each applicant’s full medical history and other factors will be required to determine eligibility for coverage.
- Clients who are living with HIV may potentially qualify if they are between ages 30 and 60 and meet minimum basic requirements.
- All applicants are subject to full underwriting.
- The rate is Table H plus $2.50 per thousand Flat Extra.
- Cases with minimal additional impairments that are mild and well controlled may be considered.
- Applicants must be permanent U.S. residents.
- Similar to the general population, not everyone who is living with HIV will qualify.
- Criteria for coverage:
- Age 30 to 60 years at time of application submission.
- The virus was not acquired via blood transfusion or intravenous drug use.
- Lowest ever recorded CD4 count greater than 200 and no history of AIDS-defining condition.
- More than 1 year since HIV diagnosis and, if being treated, greater than 6 months since current Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) initiated.
- CD4 count and viral load recorded within 6 months from time of application.
- CD4 count 350 or greater when last measured.
- Viral load is less than 200 copies/ml.
- Free of Hepatitis B.
- Free of Hepatitis C.
- Free of TB or Non-TB mycobacterial infection.
*Source: https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/statistics/, accessed 10/12/2015.
** Estimates are based on survey conducted on behalf of ÆQUALIS by CMI. CMI Survey Key Findings, May 2013. Supported by Center for Disease Control, HIV Surveillance Report, Diagnoses of HIV Infection in the United States and Dependent Areas, Vol. 23, 2011.
CREATED EXCLUSIVELY FOR FINANCIAL PROFESSIONALS
ÆQUALIS and Munich Re are not affiliates of Prudential Financial or its affiliated insurance companies.
Life insurance is issued by Pruco Life Insurance Company in all states except New York, where it is issued by Pruco Life Insurance Company of New Jersey. Both are Prudential Financial companies located in Newark, NJ.